Frequently Asked Questions

We answer some of the most frequently asked questions about home and contents insurance to help make buying insurance easier for you.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are my home and/or contents insured for?

Our Policy Benefits page lists what we cover with our Home and/or Contents policies, as well as listing Optional Benefits for those who feel they may need additional specific cover. Our Home and/or Contents policies cover you for:

  • Fire
  • Explosion
  • Theft and Attempted Theft
  • Malicious damage, vandalism, riot or civil commotion
  • Accidental breakage of glass, ceramic and sanitary fixtures
  • Storm and rainwater
  • Lightning
  • Earthquake
  • Sudden and unexpected escape of liquid
  • Impact at the home

Other useful benefits include up to $20 million liability cover, temporary accommodation costs, debris removal and extra costs of rebuilding. Limits and exclusions may apply, so it is absolutely essential to read the Product Disclosure Statement for full details.

Do you have flood cover?

No, we do not offer flood cover. And by flood we mean: the covering of normally dry land by water that has escaped or been released from the normal confines of any lake, reservoir, canal, dam, river, creek or other natural watercourse (whether or not they've been altered or modified).

We do, however, offer cover for ‘Storm and Rainwater' damage and ‘Sudden and Unexpected Escape of Liquid'. For details about the events we insure, please check out our Product Disclosure Statement.

Are there discounts if I buy my Home and/or Contents Insurance online?

Yes. You'll save 15% if you buy your Home or Contents cover from us online, and 30% if you combine the two into a single Home and Contents policy that you purchase online.

What kind of Optional Benefits do you offer?

If you require additional Optional Benefits, we have several to choose from - including Motor Burnout Cover, Accidental Damage Cover and choice of Excess Options. If you're a landlord with a rental property, we have Optional Benefits for Theft and Malicious Damage by Tenant as well as Tenant Default cover. Please go to our Home and/or Contents Optional Benefits page for full details of what we offer.

Where can I find your Product Disclosure Statement?

There is a link to our Product Disclosure Statement at the bottom of each page of our website. Reading our Product Disclosure Statement is highly recommended because it gives you the details of specific terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions on different types of cover. By fully understanding what we cover (and what we don't) and knowing the specifications of our insurance, you're able to make a more informed decision about the Home and/or Contents cover that's just right for you.

Is my laptop, tablet or mobile phone covered?

Your laptop, mobile phone or tablet device will be covered for loss and/or damage if they are damaged at the home by an insured event. However, they are not covered for loss and/or damage if they are taken away from the home. Limits apply so please read the Product Disclosure Statement.

What about my jewellery?

Your jewellery is covered for the replacement value if it was at home when it was stolen and/or damaged. If you would like to have your jewellery covered away from home, you'll need optional Personal Effects Cover. You can choose between two different types:

  • Unspecified Personal Effects Cover – this covers items valued at less than $1000 away from the home. With this type of cover, you do not need to specify the item's type or value on the insurance certificate.
  • Specified Personal Effects Cover – this covers items valued at more than $1000 away from the home. With this type of cover, you are required to specify each item and its value on the insurance certificate.

How do your prices compare to the rest of the industry?

Our prices for Home and/or Contents Insurance in Australia are highly competitive. Because we use very accurate risk assessments, this helps us keep your premium prices more affordable. We've won Money Magazine's Best of the Best award for Cheapest Home and Contents Insurance in 20141. Have a look at these Home and Contents Insurance Comparisons to see how we stack up against the competition.

How can I pay for my Home and/or Contents policy?

We give you the choice of paying fortnightly, monthly or annually – whichever suits you best. And you can also choose between direct debit, credit card or PayPal payments. Did you know we were Australia's very first Car and Home Insurer to offer PayPal as a payment option? We believe providing more choices make it easier for you to match your payments to your lifestyle and pay cycle.

How can I get a quote for your Home and/or Contents Insurance?

With Budget Direct, it's quick and easy to find out just how much money you might save. Go straight to our Online Quote page and you'll have your quote in just minutes!